two dimensional statistics in Postgres - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Katharina Büchse
Subject two dimensional statistics in Postgres
Date
Re: two dimensional statistics in Postgres  ("Tomas Vondra" <tv@fuzzy.cz>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I'm a phd-student at the university of Jena, Thüringen, Germany, in the
field of data bases, more accurate query optimization.
I want to implement a system in PostgreSQL that detects column
correlations and creates statistical data about correlated columns for
the optimizer. Therefore I need to store two dimensional statistics
(especially two dimensional histograms) in PostgreSQL.
I had a look at the description of "WIP: multivariate statistics / proof
of concept", which looks really promising, I guess these statistics are
based on scans of the data? For my system I need both -- statistical
data based on table scans (actually, samples are enough) and those based
on query feedback. Query feedback (tuple counts and, speaking a little
inaccurately, the where-part of the query itself) needs to be extracted
and there needs to be a decision for the optimizer, when to take
multivariate statistics and when to use the one dimensional ones. Oracle
in this case just disables one dimensional histograms if there is
already a multidimensional histogram, but this is not always useful,
especially in the case of a feedback based histogram (which might not
cover the whole data space). I want to use both kinds of histograms
because correlations might occur only in parts of the data. In this case
a histogram based on a sample of the whole table might not get the point
and wouldn't help for the part of the data the user seems to be
interested in.
There are special data structures for storing multidimensional
histograms based on feedback and I already tried to implement one of
these in C. In the case of two dimensions they are of course not "for
free" (one dimensional would be much cheaper), but based on the
principle of maximum entropy they deliver really good results. I decided
for only two dimensions because in this case we have the best proportion
of cost and benefit when searching for correlation (here I'm relying on
tests that were made in DB2 within a project called CORDS which detects
correlations even between different tables).

I'd be grateful for any advices and discussions.
Regards,

Katharina