Re: pg_multixact not getting truncated - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: pg_multixact not getting truncated
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/3/14, 7:40 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 11/03/2014 05:24 PM, Josh Berkus wrote:
>> BTW, the reason I started poking into this was a report from a user that
>> they have a pg_multixact directory which is 21GB in size, and is 2X the
>> size of the database.
>>
>> Here's XID data:
>>
>> Latest checkpoint's NextXID:          0/1126461940
>> Latest checkpoint's NextOID:          371135838
>> Latest checkpoint's NextMultiXactId:  162092874
>> Latest checkpoint's NextMultiOffset:  778360290
>> Latest checkpoint's oldestXID:        945761490
>> Latest checkpoint's oldestXID's DB:   370038709
>> Latest checkpoint's oldestActiveXID:  1126461940
>> Latest checkpoint's oldestMultiXid:   123452201
>> Latest checkpoint's oldestMulti's DB: 370038709
>>
>> Oldest mxid file is 29B2, newest is 3A13
>>
>> No tables had a relminmxid of 1 (some of the system tables were 0,
>> though), and the data from pg_class and pg_database is consistent.
>
> More tidbits:
>
> I just did a quick check on customer systems (5 of them).  This only
> seems to be happening on customer systems where I specifically know
> there is a high number of FK lock waits (the system above gets around
> 1000 per minute that we know of).  Other systems with higher transaction
> rates don't exhibit this issue; I checked a 9.3.5 database which
> normally needs to do XID wraparound once every 10 days, and it's
> pg_multixact is only 48K (it has one file, 0000).
>
> Note that pg_clog on the bad machine is only 64K in size.
>
> How many IDs are there per mxid file?
#define MULTIXACT_OFFSETS_PER_PAGE (BLCKSZ / sizeof(MultiXactOffset))

So for 8k blocks, there are 2k offsets (really MultiXactIds) per page, 32 pages per SLRU segment. Your file names
aren'tmaking sense to me. :( If I'm doing the math correctly, 29B2 is MXID 699 531 264 and 3A13 is 974 323 712. You're
onlylooking in pg_multixact/members/, yes?

Relevant code starts in vacuum.c/vac_update_datfrozenxid()

If there's any rows in pg_class for tables/matviews/toast with either relfrozenxid > next XID or relminmxid > next MXID
thenthe code *silently* pulls the plug right there. IMO we should at least issue a warning.

That you see relminxid advancing tells me this isn't the case here.

ForceTransactionIdLimitUpdate() is a bit suspect in that it only looks at xidVacLimit, but if it were breaking then you
wouldn'tsee pg_database minmxid advancing.

Looking through TruncateMultiXact, I don't see anything that could prevent truncation, unless the way we're handing
MultiXactIDwraparound is broken (which I don't see any indication of).

Can you post the contents of pg_multixact/members/?