Re: tracking commit timestamps - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: tracking commit timestamps
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/5/14, 10:30 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
>> Except that commit time is not guaranteed unique *even on a single
>> >system*. That's my whole point. If we're going to bother with all the
>> >commit time machinery it seems really silly to provide a way to
>> >uniquely order every commit.
> Well. I think that's the misunderstanding here. That's absolutely not
> what committs is supposed to be used for. For the replication stream
> you'd hopefully use logical decoding. That gives you the transaction
> data exactly in commit order.

So presumably you'd want to use logical decoding to insert into a table with a sequence on it, or similar?

I agree, that sounds like a better way to handle this. I think it's worth mentioning in the docs for commit_ts, because
peopleWILL mistakenly try and use it to determine commit ordering.