Re: Does psqlODBC actually work on osx? - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Does psqlODBC actually work on osx?
Date
List pgsql-odbc
On 11/04/2014 10:15 AM, Malcolm MacLeod wrote:

>>> All on same internal network.
>>> Server 10.0.0.3, working machine(s) 10.0.0.24, 10.0.0.25 etc. broken
>>> machine 10.0.0.26
>>> I've tried also setting the pg_hba.conf to 'trust' and even then it
>>> doesn't seem to work.
>>>
>>> Various config info and traces below.
>>>

>>> Snippet from configuration (Although I've played with various other
>>> options SSLmode etc. here as well)
>>>
>>> [test]
>>> Driver=psqlODBC
>>> Server=10.0.0.3
>>> Database=todo
>>> Username=postgres
>>> Password=postgres13
>>>

>>> iodbctestw error messsage:
>>> 1: SQLDriverConnectW = FATAL: password authentication failed for user
>>> "postgres" (210) SQLSTATE=28P01
>> Well it is not liking that password.
> I can connect using the exact same password from the exact same machine
> using pgadmin directly, as well as from multiple (non osx) machines
> using it also.
> Occams razor tells me that it is far more likely that psqlodbcw.so has
> some or other issue than that the password somehow has something wrong
> with it or that I am suddenly incapable of doing basic configurations
> correctly. I would love to be wrong and find out that it is a
> configuration issue as that would solve a lot of headaches but I just
> don't see where or how it could be possible.

I do not use iodbc, so the following may be answered some where else
that I have not found.

What has me confused is that you have:

[test]
Driver=psqlODBC
Server=10.0.0.3
Database=todo
Username=postgres
Password=postgres13

but this:

http://www.iodbc.org/dataspace/iodbc/wiki/iODBC/FAQ

says:
"
The Driver= parameter should be a full name to a shared-library
implementing the driver for the backend database to which you're connecting

  Note that other driver-managers permit use of { } for quotations and
symbolic names for the driver (referencing the odbcinst.ini file), such as

Driver = {SQL Server}

Currently iODBC implements neither of these; the Driver= parameter must
be a full path to the shared library directly.
"

>> How are you running the test configuration?
> iodbctestw "DSN=test;UID=postgres;PWD=postgres13" and various similar
> incantations e.g. with the user and password left out...
> Also the test button in iODBC administrator
>

>> Looking into the postmaster log to see what it logged about this might
>> prove informative.  It's not unusual for the log to contain info
>> that's
>> intentionally not reported to the client.
> 2014-11-04 18:26:07 CAT    FATAL    password authentication failed for user
> "postgres"
> 2014-11-04 18:26:07 CAT    DETAIL    Connection matched pg_hba.conf line 81:
> "host    all             all             10.0.0.0/24             md5"
>
> Thats all of interest that postmaster has to say.
> i.e. the password is wrong, except of course this is obviously not the
> case. I doubt the server is lying about this, so I'm pretty sure that
> the blame lies with psqlODBC (or with libiodbc and/or the interface
> between the two).
> Could it be incorrectly passing the UTF32 (or is it 16?) password to a
> UTF8 system/iodbc call or similar thereby corrupting the password?
> I find it hard to believe that something this fundamental could be
> wrong/broken but I don't know what else to think - which is why I ask if
> anyone can verify having actually ever used psqlODBCw on osx recently
> without issue...

Just for grins you might want to try the straight iodbctest.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com