Re: Let's drop two obsolete features which are bear-traps for novices - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: Let's drop two obsolete features which are bear-traps for novices
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 11/02/2014 10:01 AM, Jaime Casanova wrote:

> El nov 2, 2014 7:54 AM, "Andres Freund" <andres@2ndquadrant.com
> <mailto:andres@2ndquadrant.com>> escribió:
> >
> > On 2014-11-01 16:59:35 -0700, Josh Berkus wrote:
> > > All,
> > >
> > > While there's argument about hash indexes, it looks like nobody
> minds if
> > > the MONEY type goes bye-bye.  So, time for a patch ...
> >
> > FWIW there have been somewhat recent patches for money and it was
> > undeprecated not too long ago. So apparently there's users for it out
> > there. I personally would never use money, but I doubt the gain is worth
> > the cost of breaking existing setups without a warning period.
> >

> Not knowing how difficult it could be maybe a fair compromise is to
> move MONEY datatype to a contrib. And documenting its limitations.

That's pretty much dead in the water, I think. Builtin types and
functions have Oid values in different ranges from non-builtin types
such as those in contrib. It's one reason we have no chance of bringing
hstore into core as people have previously asked for. And for the same
reason I think moving a core type out to contrib won't work. In any
case, contrib shouldn't be a rubbish heap of old deprecated features.

cheers

andrew