Re: A local replication entry - Mailing list pgsql-admin

From John Scalia
Subject Re: A local replication entry
Date
List pgsql-admin
Well, it is using the pg_hba.conf I thought. I edited the pg_hba.conf file and changed the line I thought pg_basebackup
shouldbe using from "trust" to "fake_it" and issued a
reload. I saw an "invalid authentication method 'fake_it'" reported in the pg_log/postgresql-Wed.log file. To confirm
thatit really was using the correct pg_hba.conf file and I
stopped the database and tried to start it again. That start did fail with:

<timestamp> % LOG: invalid authentication method "fake_it"
<timestamp> % CONTEXT: line 101 of configuration file "/var/lib/pgsql/9.3/data/pg_hba.conf"
<timestamp> % FATAL: could not load pg_hba.conf

So, it really is using the correct pg_hba.conf.

Allow me to note, in closing, that this particular VM: csgha2 has been a problem child since it was built, and many
thingshave been broken on it. I don't know if this is another
one of the very hard-to-solve problems or not. I may try this on another of my sandbox systems. Still I need to know
whythis is failing.

On 10/29/2014 12:20 PM, Tom Lane wrote:
> John Scalia <jayknowsunix@gmail.com> writes:
>> I thought you might be correct, Tom, but I double-checked the postgresql.conf file and listen_addresses = "*". I had
forgottento look to see if netstat reported:
>> tcp    0    0    0.0.0.0:5432            0.0.0.0:*        LISTEN
>> But even with that established, the pg_basebackup using:
>> /usr/pgsql-9.3/bin/pg_basebackup -D - -h 127.0.0.1 -Ft -z -c fast -l hourly.backup > backup_file.gz
or
>> /usr/pgsql-9.3/bin/pg_basebackup -D - -h 127.0.0.1 -U postgres -Ft -z -c fast -l hourly.backup > backup_file.gz
>> are still failing with:
>> pg_basebackup: could not connect to server: FATAL: no pg_hba.conf entry for replication connection from host
"127.0.0.1",user "postgres", SSL off