Re: [BUGS] Re: [BUGS] Re: [BUGS] Re: [BUGS] Re: BUG #11431: Failing to backup and restore a Windows postgres database, with Norwegian Bokmål locale. - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: [BUGS] Re: [BUGS] Re: [BUGS] Re: [BUGS] Re: BUG #11431: Failing to backup and restore a Windows postgres database, with Norwegian Bokmål locale.
Date
In response to Re: [BUGS] Re: [BUGS] Re: [BUGS] Re: BUG #11431: Failing to backup and restore a Windows postgres database, with Norwegian Bokmål locale.  (Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas@vmware.com>)
Responses Re: Re: [BUGS] Re: [BUGS] Re: [BUGS] Re: [BUGS] Re: BUG #11431: Failing to backup and restore a Windows postgres database, with Norwegian Bokmål locale.  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-bugs
> On 09/25/2014 03:22 PM, Heikki Linnakangas wrote:
>> Alternatively, we could not bother with changing pg_upgrade or CREATE
>> DATABASE, and instead instruct Bokmål users to do the manual UPDATE of
>> pg_database in the release notes. That might be the most robust
>> solution, if there are more cases where we compare locales that I've missed.
>
> I just realized that pg_upgrade doesn't currently do the
> canonicalization when upgrading from a pre-8.4 server. So AFAICS,
> upgrading from 8.3 to 9.2-9.4 will fail, if the locale name in the old
> cluster doesn't happen to match the canonical form.
>
> I committed the pg_upgrade patch discussed on the other thread to
> master. For the 9.2->9.4 back-branches, I think we should do the
> attached
> (0001-Make-the-locale-comparison-in-pg_upgrade-more-lenien.patch). This
> fixes the problem with 8.3 -> 9.2 upgrades, and prepares pg_upgrade for
> the "Norwegian (Bokmål)" -> "norwegian-bokmal" mapping.
>

> Now, for the mapping. I thought about it some more, and I think we
> really need to provide instructions to fix existing clusters, as part of
> the release notes. Even if we do the change to CREATE DATABASE that I
> included in my earlier patch, you'll continue to have problems with
> different encodings. And initdb writes the values in postgresql.conf
> too, for lc_messages et all. Those really should be fixed too.
>
> So I don't think there's much point in the CREATE DATABASE part. Let's
> backpatch the attached patch
> (0001-Work-around-Windows-locale-name-with-non-ASCII-chara.patch) and
> add the attached instructions to the release notes.
>
> The UPDATE statements in the instructions are specially crafted to avoid
> "invalid byte sequence" errors, if they're run from a database that uses
> a different encoding than the one used in the existing rows. I tried
> using regexp_replace at first, but tries to decode all the characters,
> and fails. I'm not 100% this would work with every encoding, but at
> least it works with a mixture of LATIN1 and UTF-8, which are the most
> likely encodings to be used with Norwegian.
>
> These three things together, the pg_upgrade patch, the setlocale()
> mapping patch and the release note changes, resolves the issue.

Ok, I've committed these patches now.

The release note entry needs to be written, with the instructions on
updating pg_database. We don't have anywhere to stash release note
entries for minor releases, until we actually write the release notes,
do we?

- Heikki