Re: Planner creating ineffective plans on LEFT OUTER joins - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Planner creating ineffective plans on LEFT OUTER joins
Date
List pgsql-hackers
"Robert Haas" <robertmhaas@gmail.com> writes:
> I can predict that Tom will say that the planning time it would take
> to avoid this problem isn't justified by the number of queries that it
> would improve.

Took the words right out of my mouth ;-)

It would be *possible* to do this sort of thing, but what it would
imply is re-planning entire join nests on the strength of assumptions
that some additional constraints are available.  Right now we only
do that for individual inner-side relations.  AFAICS extending that
to sub-joins would result in an exponential increase in plan time.