Re: Trailing comma support in SELECT statements - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Trailing comma support in SELECT statements
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/16/14, 11:48 PM, David Johnston wrote:
>         We might as well allow a final trailing (or initial leading) comma on a
>         values list at the same time:
<snip>

>     do you know, so this feature is a proprietary and it is not based on ANSI/SQL? Any user, that use this feature
andwill to port to other database will hate it.

> ​I've got no complaint if "at the same time" means that neither behavior is ever implemented...

As I originally posted, if we're going to do this I think we should do it *EVERYWHERE* commas are used as delimiters,
saveCOPY input and output. Or we should at least get close to doing it everywhere. I think the only way things could
getmore annoying is if we accepted extra commas in SELECT but not in CREATE TABLE (as one example).

To me completeness is more important than whether we do it or not; that said, I like the idea (as well as supporting
leadingextra commas).