Re: Expose options to explain? (track_io_timing) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joshua D. Drake
Subject Re: Expose options to explain? (track_io_timing)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/14/2014 10:01 AM, Robert Haas wrote:

> Hmm.  IIRC, there are only two use cases for I/O timing at present:
> pg_stat_statements (which really only makes sense if it's turned on or
> off system-wide) and EXPLAIN.  Rather than inventing more GUC
> machinery, I think we could just add an explain flag called "IO".  So
> you could do:
>
> EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, IO) SELECT ....
>
> And that would gather I/O stats even if it's turned off system-wide.
> Or you could do:
>
> EXPLAIN (ANALYZE, IO false) SELECT ....
>
> That can't really be allowed to suppress gathering the I/O stats for
> this query if the sysadmin wants those stats for all queries.  But it
> could suppress the print-out.

I think the first one makes the most sense.

JD

High Availability, Oracle Conversion, @cmdpromptinc
"If we send our children to Caesar for their education, we should             not be surprised when they come back as
Romans."