command line v GUI and COPY - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From John Polo
Subject command line v GUI and COPY
Date
List pgsql-novice
Greetings,
I have looked through the documentation provided on postgresql.org for
help with a few items, since I don't know much about DBs or PostgreSQL.
It seems that most of the documentation on the site is focused toward on
the command line. Is there another useful resource that focuses on GUI help?

At the moment I have several CSVs from the US Forest Service's FIA
progam and would like to set up a new DB with the CSVs as tables. I set
up a non-admin user and when I try to import a CSV to a table, I get a
couple of error messages. The first is that there is extra data after
the last column. I read somewhere that error arose because I was
importing to an existing table, even though the table was something I
just made in GUI by right-clicking and using the menu and the table as
far as I knew was empty. I deleted the table and am trying to find
another way to create a table by clicking on something and copying
directly/importing from the CSV.

I tried psql. I wrote "create table ok_boundary;
copy ok_boundary from 'c:\[...]ok_boundary.csv' delimiter ',' csv header;"
(all with caps as shown in documentation or on stackoverflow.com) and it
wouldn't let me create the table to begin with. Trying to pick up the
command line stuff is slower than the GUI for me, so it would be great
if I could find something to get through the initial steps that is less
focused on the command line. In the bigger picture, I am trying to get
PostgreSQL and PostGIS to work with QGIS for a couple of GIS projects
and so in the process, I am trying to get my head wrapped around those
two former programs and their connections.

John Polo