Re: UPSERT wiki page, and SQL MERGE syntax - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: UPSERT wiki page, and SQL MERGE syntax
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 10/9/14, 6:59 PM, Gavin Flower wrote:
> On 10/10/14 12:38, Jim Nasby wrote:
>>> Well, it isn't that I'm doing it because I think that it is a great
>>> idea, with everything to recommend it. It's more like I don't see any
>>> practical alternative. We need the before row insert triggers to fire
>>> to figure out what to insert (or if we should update instead). No way
>>> around that. At the same time, those triggers are at liberty to do
>>> almost anything, and so in general we have no way of totally
>>> nullifying their effects (or side effects). Surely you see the
>>> dilemma.
>>
>> FWIW, if each row was handled in a subtransaction then an insert that turned out to be an update could be rolled
back...but the performance impact of going that route might be pretty horrid. :( There's also the potential to get
stuckin a loop where a BEFORE INSERT trigger turns the tuple into an UPDATE and a BEFORE UPDATE trigger turns it into
anINSERT.

> Perhaps you need an UPSERT trigger?

I would think that a BEFORE UPSERT trigger would very likely want to know whether we were inserting or updating, which
basicallyputs us back where we started.

That said, since the use case for UPSERT is different than both INSERT and UPDATE maybe it would be a good idea to have
aseparate trigger for them anyway.