Re: New and investigating - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: New and investigating
Date
List pgsql-novice
"Alain Gougeon" <agougeon@sigma.gov.bo> writes:
> Where do i obtain information on PostgreSQL that would allow me to have an
> acceptable level of trust in it???

I don't think you're going to find what you're looking for.
Companies are not normally in the habit of stepping forward and offering
unsolicited testimonials for stuff that they use (especially not free
software).  It takes a good deal of cajoling to get someone to offer a
reference, and right now there is no one with the
time/interest/resources to do that for Postgres.  Unless possibly
PostgreSQL Inc, and you say you already looked there.

Great Bridge used to be in the business of collecting such references,
and they had a number of good ones, but I think all that information
vanished when they shut down.  Red Hat was doing so as well, but they
are currently maintaining a low profile w.r.t. RHDB, so I don't think
anything is going to be available there either.

You could try SRA, too, but most likely anything they'd have would be
in Japanese ...

The bottom line is that one of the reasons why there's a price
difference between Oracle and Postgres is that Oracle has a marketing
department that goes out and collects the sort of testimonials you're
looking for.  Postgres doesn't.

So, if you aren't going to touch Postgres without an Oracle-like stack
of marketing material, we might as well not waste each other's time:
go buy Oracle.  If you want to consider using Postgres, my
recommendation would be to build up the confidence you want for
yourself.  Start small, with some noncritical projects, and see how
Postgres does with them.  Scale up from there.

            regards, tom lane