Re: BUG #11528: Max Index Keys - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: BUG #11528: Max Index Keys
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 9/30/2014 11:44 AM, pdasari@mdsol.com wrote:
> We are using Amazon Redshift postgreSQL. no matter what jar file we use it
> gives the following error message.

jar file?     what is this jar file?    Do you mean JDBC ?   The
PostgreSQL JDBC driver is its own project, has its own mailling lists.
The bug report form you used is for the core database server, which has
no Java components.

> Upon browsing, found that the source code is reading the max_index_keys
> should be greater than 0. However the redshift database does not require
> indexing. I really appreciate your assistance if there is any specific jar
> to use to avoid using the max_index_keys function while executing the query
>
> Below is the error we encountered:
>
> Unable to determine a value for MaxIndexKeys due to missing system catalog
> data

While PostgreSQL doesn't require indexes, its standard practice in
relational databases to always define a primary key for every table.
I'm not sure why JDBC would be enforcing this.