Re: Permission Problems:-)? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Permission Problems:-)?
Date
List pgsql-general
Jerome Lyles <susemail@hawaii.rr.com> writes:
> On Tuesday 27 January 2004 06:41 am, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I don't think so --- the postmaster will actively refuse to start if you
>> try to run it as root.  Better take another look at exactly what's
>> happening.

> Running the postmaster as root:

> adriel@linux:~> su
> Password:
> linux:/home/adriel # /etc/init.d/postgresql start
> Starting PostgreSQL
If you look into that startup script, you'll find it does a su to
postgres before trying to start the postmaster.  The postmaster will
barf if you try to invoke it directly as root (this is a security
measure).

> I then created a database as the database superuser:

> postgres@linux:~> createdb mydb2
> CREATE DATABASE

Okay, looks like you are set: postgres is the DB superuser, and
should be able to create all the other database users you want.

            regards, tom lane