Re: WAL receive process dies - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Craig Ringer
Subject Re: WAL receive process dies
Date
List pgsql-general
On 08/28/2014 09:39 AM, Patrick Krecker wrote:
> We have a periodic network connectivity issue (unrelated to Postgres)
> that is causing the replication to fail.
>
> We are running Postgres 9.3 using streaming replication. We also have
> WAL archives available to be replayed with restore_command. Typically
> when I bring up a slave it copies over WAL archives for a while before
> connecting via streaming replication.
>
> When I notice the machine is behind in replication, I also notice that
> the WAL receiver process has died. There didn't seem to be any
> information in the logs about it.

What did you search for?

Do you have core dumps enabled? That'd be a good first step. (Exactly
how to do this depends on the OS/distro/version, but you basically want
to set "ulimit -c unlimited" on some ancestor of the postmaster).

> 1. It seems that Postgres does not fall back to copying WAL archives
> with its restore_command. I just want to confirm that this is what
> Postgres is supposed to do when its connection via streaming replication
> times out.

It should fall back.

> 2. Is it possible to restart replication after the WAL receiver process
> has died without restarting Postgres?

PostgreSQL should do so its self.

Please show your recovery.conf (appropriately redacted) and
postgresql.conf for the replica, and complete logs for the time period
of interest. You'll want to upload the logs somewhere then link to them,
do not attach them to an email to the list.