Re: UPDATE table: Syntax to Remove Terminal '\n' - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ian Barwick
Subject Re: UPDATE table: Syntax to Remove Terminal '\n'
Date
List pgsql-general
On 14/08/28 7:31, Rich Shepard wrote:
>   I have some rows in a table where a column attribute has a newline (\n)
> appended to the string. How do I represent that newline character in a SQL
> statement using psql?
>
>   I've tried adding E'\n' to the end of the string but that doesn't work.
>
>   Here's what I see when I select distinct for that column:
>
> StarvationCrk+
>

>   That's a blank line below the name.
>
> TIA,

Not sure what you mean by "doesn't work"; if you want a more precise
rendering of the newline character, the unicode linestyle (suggested
by Tom Lane in the previous thread) should do the trick:

    postgres=> \pset linestyle unicode
    Line style (linestyle) is unicode.
    postgres=> SELECT E'foo\n';
     ?column?