Re: Turn off Hyperthreading! WAS: 60 core performance with 9.3 - Mailing list pgsql-performance

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: Turn off Hyperthreading! WAS: 60 core performance with 9.3
Date
List pgsql-performance
On 26/08/14 10:13, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 08/22/2014 07:02 AM, Andres Freund wrote:
>>>
>>> Actually, I don't know that anyone has posted the benefits of HT.
>>> Link?
>>
>> There's definitely cases where it can help. But it's highly workload
>> *and* hardware dependent.
>
> The only cases I've seen where HT can be beneficial is when you have
> large numbers of idle connections.  Then the idle connections can be
> "parked" on the HT virtual cores.  However, even in this case I haven't
> seen a head-to-head performance comparison.

I've just had a pair of Crucial m550's arrive, so a bit of benchmarking
is in order. The results (below) seem to suggest that HT enabled is
certainly not inhibiting scaling performance for single socket i7's. I
performed several runs (typical results shown below).

Intel i7-4770 3.4 Ghz, 16G
2x Crucial m550
Ubuntu 14.04
Postgres 9.4 beta2