Re: Similar to csvlog but not really, json logs? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jim Nasby
Subject Re: Similar to csvlog but not really, json logs?
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 8/26/14, 8:45 PM, Michael Paquier wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> As mentioned here, we support multiple logging format:
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/devel/static/runtime-config-logging.html
> Now what about a json format logging with one json object per log entry?
>
> A single json entry would need more space than a csv one as we need to
> track the field names with their values. Also, there is always the
> argument that if an application needs json-format logs, it could use
> csvlog on Postgres-side and do the transformation itself. But wouldn't
> it be a win for application or tools if such an option is available
> in-core?
>
> Note that I am not planning to work on that in a close future, but it
> would be a good TODO item for beginners if it is worth pursuing.

Perhaps instead of doing this in-core it would be better to make log handling more extensible? I'm thinking add a
specific"binary" format and an external tool that can parse that and do whatever the user wants with it. That means we
don'thave to keep adding more complexity to the internal log handling (which already has the risk of being a
bottleneck),while allowing maximum user flexibility.

--
Jim C. Nasby, Data Architect                       jim@nasby.net