Re: psql \watch versus \timing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: psql \watch versus \timing
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 08/25/2014 09:22 PM, Fujii Masao wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 1:34 AM, Heikki Linnakangas
> <hlinnakangas@vmware.com> wrote:
>> I agree that refactoring this would be nice in the long-term, and I also
>> agree that it's probably OK as it is in the short-term. I don't like the
>> name PSQLexecInternal, though. PSQLexec is used for "internal" commands
>> anyway. In fact it's backwards, because PSQLexecInternal is used for
>> non-internal queries, given by \watch, while PSQLexec is used for internal
>> commands.
>
> Agreed. So what about PSQLexecCommon (inspired by
> the relation between LWLockAcquireCommon and LWLockAcquire)?
> Or any better name?

Actually, perhaps it would be better to just copy-paste PSQLexec, and
modify the copy to suite \watch's needs. (PSQLexecWatch?
SendWatchQuery?). PSQLexec doesn't do much, and there isn't very much
overlap between what \watch wants and what other PSQLexec callers want.
\watch wants timing output, others don't. \watch doesn't want
transaction handling. Do we want --echo-hidden to print the \watch'd
query? Not sure..

- Heikki