Re: deadlock in single-row select-for-update + update scenario? How could it happen? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: deadlock in single-row select-for-update + update scenario? How could it happen?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 08/25/2014 04:18 AM, hubert depesz lubaczewski wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 22, 2014 at 9:21 PM, Alvaro Herrera
> <alvherre@2ndquadrant.com <mailto:alvherre@2ndquadrant.com>> wrote:
>
>     FWIW this problem was reported also by Andrew Sackville-West at
>     http://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20140731233051.GN17765@andrew-ThinkPad-X230
>     I strongly suspect now that the problem is related to the locking of
>     updated versions as heap_lock_tuple_updated, and perhaps the internal
>     locking done by EvalPlanQual.  Haven't traced through it.
>

> Is there anything I could tell the developer to do (he's on Mac) so he
> could provide more information?

I would say to confirm the bug report Alvaro mentioned it would be good
to try the importer script against non-9.3 instances of Postgres to see
if the same thing happens. Also interesting to note that in the bug
report thread mention is made of a large number of FKs on a table.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com