Re: hot_standby_feedback vs. max_standby_archive_delay/max_standby_streaming_delay? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shaun Thomas
Subject Re: hot_standby_feedback vs. max_standby_archive_delay/max_standby_streaming_delay?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 08/21/2014 03:44 PM, Steve Kehlet wrote:

> So we're going to try applying max_standby_archive_delay and
> max_standby_streaming_delay to 1h or so. We're also looking at
> pg_xlog_replay_pause(), although this is less desirable because we
> don't want to have to ask the people running reports to remember to
> pause and resume things.

Looks right to me. Though with these settings, keep in mind that these
are not on a per-query basis. You will have queries canceled that may
have only been running for a few seconds, if other queries have caused a
long cumulative delay.

You can fiddle with these until you stop getting cancellations though.
Especially if, as you say, it's a slave that can fall behind safely.

--
Shaun Thomas
OptionsHouse, LLC | 141 W. Jackson Blvd. | Suite 800 | Chicago IL, 60604