Re: Does writing new records while massive update will generate lock ? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Raymond O'Donnell
Subject Re: Does writing new records while massive update will generate lock ?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 21/08/2014 14:41, Victor d'Agostino wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> I added a datetime column to a table with 51.10^6 entries.
>
> ALTER TABLE MYBIGTABLE ADD COLUMN date timestamp without time zone;
>
> I'm updating this column (for more than 48 hours now) on a RAID5
> server.
>
> UPDATE MYBIGTABLE SET date = (SELECT date FROM INDEXEDTABLE WHERE
> INDEXEDTABLE.email_id=MYBIGTABLE.email_id) WHERE date is null;
>
> This transaction is still running and will end in several days. It
> only uses 1 core.
>
> My question is : Can I add new records in the table or will it
> generate locks ?
>
> I am using postgresql *8.4*

Not that this helps your issue, but you may not be aware that 8.4 is now
end-of-life and so is no longer supported:

  http://www.postgresql.org/support/versioning

Ray.

--
Raymond O'Donnell :: Galway :: Ireland