ON DELETE trigger blocks delete from my table - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Naeem Bari
Subject ON DELETE trigger blocks delete from my table
Date
Re: ON DELETE trigger blocks delete from my table  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
Re: ON DELETE trigger blocks delete from my table  (Jan Wieck <JanWieck@Yahoo.com>)
List pgsql-general

Hi,

I am using postgres 7.4.5 on Redhat Enterprise Linux 3.

My background is really on Oracle, and I am porting a largish database over to postgres.

Here is my problem:

On oracle, I had a table with an “on update or delete” trigger that copied the current row out to an audit table. Works like a champ. On postgres, when I try to delete a row, all it gives back to me is “DELETE 0” and does nothing.

Here is the text of the trigger:

~~~~~~~~~~

CREATE OR REPLACE FUNCTION public.func_job_status_upd()

  RETURNS trigger AS

'

begin

  insert into x_job_status values ( OLD.job_id, OLD.job_status_type_id, OLD.status_date, OLD.notes, OLD.edit_person_id, OLD.edit_date);

  return new;

end;

'

  LANGUAGE 'plpgsql' VOLATILE;