Re: Localhost vs. Unix Domain Sockets? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: Localhost vs. Unix Domain Sockets?
Date
Re: Localhost vs. Unix Domain Sockets?  (Matt S <matt@eatsleeprepeat.net>)
List pgsql-general
On 8/18/2014 4:55 PM, Ken Tanzer wrote:
> So I've got two questions.  One is whether there are any downsides to
> using sockets, or any "gotchas" to be aware of.  The second is whether
> there is anything to do to increase the security of sockets?  (e.g.,
> analagous to encrypting localhost conenctions with SSL?)  From the
> little I saw, it sounds like sockets are "just inherently secure," but
> wanted to confirm that or get another opinion!

localhost is plenty secure, only root can sniff it, and root can su to
postgres and be in full ownership of your server anyways, so if you
consider root a security risk, well, there's no cure for that.

unix domain sockets are quite secure too.   they might be slightly
faster than tcp/ip via localhost, but its probably not enough to matter.