Re: postgresql.auto.conf and reload - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Mark Kirkwood
Subject Re: postgresql.auto.conf and reload
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 09/07/14 05:13, Josh Berkus wrote:
> On 07/06/2014 01:27 AM, Christoph Berg wrote:
>> Another could be that during initdb all the uncommented settings be
>>> written to postgresql.auto.conf file rather than to postgresql.conf.
>>> I think we can do this by changing code in initdb.c->setup_config().
>>> This will ensure that unless user is changing settings in a mixed way
>>> (some by Alter System and some manually by editing postgresql.conf),
>>> there will no such problem.
>
> There is no reasonable way for us to prevent issues for users who are
> manually changing both pg.conf and pg.auto.conf.  Users should stick to
> one or the other method of management (or, thirdly, using conf.d); if
> they mix methods, we can't prevent confusion at restart time and we
> shouldn't try.

Yes, but even well behaved users will see this type of error, because
initdb uncomments certain values (ones that are dead certs for being
changed via ALTER SYSTEM subsequently like shared_buffers), and then -
bang! your next reload gets that "your postgresql.conf contains errors"
message.

Regards

Mark