catching up an id sequence - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Austin Swinney
Subject catching up an id sequence
Date
List pgsql-novice
Hi most esteemed novices and experts.  It is an honor to post here!

I imported a MySQL dump into PostgreSQL (7.4.3) and was wondering what
a good way to catch up the ID sequence table to be current with the
table I imported.

In the Perl app associated with the DB, I swapped out currval for
mysql_insertid.  Then I noticed that the currval reported is started
from 0,  but there are already 1400+ records in that table that have id
numbers.

The definition in question is:

  messageid        | integer                     | not null default
nextval('public.message_messageid_seq'::text)

Ideas?  Many thanks!

Austin