Re: how to create multiple databases running in different dirs - Mailing list pgsql-general

From John R Pierce
Subject Re: how to create multiple databases running in different dirs
Date
List pgsql-general
> > how would an instance of your program know what to connect to, or which
> > normally, you have ONE database for a given set of applications, and all
> > the applications share the same database tables and such.
>
> That's the problem, is there some way to tell pgsql "Go to dir X, open
> your data base Y and prepare for connections at adress Z and port P"?
> And could pgsql accept multiple connections on the same address and
> port? I was thinking of using my pID but that would change and if I
> used a user created string then if I started only on a single instace
> of pgsql and pointed it to it's databases the user might get the
> strings duplicated and that would be no good. I also thought of naming
> each database with a name generated by using the uuid library but I'm
> not sure which would be best.

why directory, address and port?   why not just 'open database X' ?
this still doesn't answer my question, HOW do you determine which
database a given instance of your program is supposed to connect to?

yes, postgres supports many different connections to the same address
and port, either to the same database or different databases.
relational databases are totally built around concurrent transactional
operations.

there's no such thing as 'directory', all database tables are stored in
the database server's private storage, the client app has no need to
know where this is.  There /is/ a concept of 'tablespaces', these are
used when you want to put different tables on different file systems,
typically used for very large scale databases, and/or when you have
different performance tiers of storage.

> No, the dynamically generated content is to be dropped (drop table
> dynamic_content;) but the rest is to be preserved. The idea is to
> create a database of a file system but the files contain no data, I
> only want their metadata and I will add a few additional metadta
> values to each file.

using TRUNCATE SOME_TABLE  would likely make more sense, that deletes
all the data in table SOME_TABLE, without actually deleting the table
definition, so you can then proceed to insert new data into it.

I really don't understand what you mean by 'a database of a file
system'.   I'm beginning to suspect you don't understand how SQL
databases work.