Re: Index-only scans and non-MVCC snapshots - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Ryan Johnson
Subject Re: Index-only scans and non-MVCC snapshots
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 27/06/2014 8:20 AM, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> Ryan Johnson wrote:
>>> Are you aware of this?
>>>
>>> commit 813fb0315587d32e3b77af1051a0ef517d187763
>>> Author: Robert Haas <rhaas@postgresql.org>
>>> Date:   Thu Aug 1 10:46:19 2013 -0400
>>>
>>>      Remove SnapshotNow and HeapTupleSatisfiesNow.
>> That would be wonderful news... if snapshots weren't so darned
>> expensive to create.
> I take it you aren't aware of this other effort, either:
> http://archives.postgresql.org/message-id/539AD153.9000004@vmware.com
That is good news, though from reading the thread it sounds like proc
array accesses are being exchanged for accesses to an SLRU, so a lot of
lwlock calls will remain. It will definitely help, though. SLRU will get
ex-locked a lot less often, so the main source of contention will be for
the actual lwlock acquire/release operations.

Regards,
Ryan