Re: better atomics - v0.5 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: better atomics - v0.5
Date
Re: better atomics - v0.5  (Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com>)
Re: better atomics - v0.5  (Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 06/25/2014 11:36 PM, Andres Freund wrote:

>> >- I completely loathe the file layout you've proposed in
>> >src/include/storage.  If we're going to have separate #include files
>> >for each architecture (and I'd rather we didn't go that route, because
>> >it's messy and unlike what we have now), then shouldn't that stuff go
>> >in src/include/port or a new directory src/include/port/atomics?
>> >Polluting src/include/storage with a whole bunch of files called
>> >atomics-whatever.h strikes me as completely ugly, and there's a lot of
>> >duplicate code in there.
> I don't mind moving it somewhere else and it's easy enough to change.

I think having a separate file for each architecture is nice. I totally
agree that they don't belong in src/include/storage, though. s_lock.h
has always been misplaced there, but we've let it be for historical
reasons, but now that we're adding a dozen new files, it's time to move
them out.

- Heikki