Re: Audit of logout - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Joe Conway
Subject Re: Audit of logout
Date
List pgsql-hackers

On 06/13/2014 07:29 AM, Tom Lane wrote:
> Fujii Masao <masao.fujii@gmail.com> writes:
>> On Thu, Jun 12, 2014 at 8:51 PM, Fujii Masao
>> <masao.fujii@gmail.com> wrote:
>>> Some users enable log_disconnections in postgresql.conf to
>>> audit all logouts. But since log_disconnections is defined with
>>> PGC_BACKEND, it can be changed at connection start. This means
>>> that any client (even nonsuperuser) can freely disable
>>> log_disconnections not to log his or her logout even when the
>>> system admin enables it in postgresql.conf. Isn't this
>>> problematic for audit?
>
>> That's harmful for audit purpose. I think that we should make
>> log_disconnections PGC_SUSET rather than PGC_BACKEND in order to
>> forbid non-superusers from changing its setting. Attached patch
>> does this.

This whole argument seems wrong unless I'm missing something:

test=# set log_connections = on;
ERROR:  parameter "log_connections" cannot be set after connection start
test=# set log_disconnections = off;
ERROR:  parameter "log_disconnections" cannot be set after connection
start

> I wonder whether we should just get rid of log_disconnections as a
> separate variable, instead logging disconnections when
> log_connections is set.

That might be a good idea though.

> Another answer is to make both variables PGC_SIGHUP, on the
> grounds that it doesn't make much sense for them not to be applied
> system-wide; except that I think there was some idea that logging
> might be enabled per-user or per-database using ALTER
> ROLE/DATABASE.

I don't think this is a good idea because of the reason you mention.

Joe

- --
Joe Conway
credativ LLC: http://www.credativ.us