Re: idle_in_transaction_timeout - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: idle_in_transaction_timeout
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 06/19/2014 02:44 PM, Kevin Grittner wrote:
> Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
>> Also, I really hope that nobody is setting this to 10s ...
>
> Well, we get to decide what the minimum allowed value is.  What do
> you think that should be?

1s?

I don't think that setting it to 1s would ever be a good idea, but I
don't want to tie users' hands if they know better than I do. Also,
unless we use 1s granuarity, users can't set it to values like 45s,
which is more reasonable. I can't see any circumstance under which
sub-second values would ever make sense.

Now ... can we decrease CPU overhead (wakeups) if we only check once per
minute?  If so, there's a good argument for making 1min the minimum.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.