Re: Global value/global variable? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ian Barwick
Subject Re: Global value/global variable?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 19/06/14 11:50, Edson Richter wrote:
> It is possible to define a global value/variable in PostgreSQL in a way that I can use it in any query/view/function?
> For example, I do have a connection string I use for dblink connections in several places (specially, inside views).
> Then, if I want to change the connection string, I do have to change every view manually.
> If I can set a kind of global variable, then I just use it inside every view - then, at my application startup (or
evenat PostgreSQL startup, if I can set this string at postgresql.conf level), would set this "global variable" to
pointthe current string.

> Your enlightment will be really welcome.

There's no such thing as a global variable, but why not use a table
to store any global configuration values? You can always do something like this:

   SELECT dblink_connect('myconn', (select connstr from dblink_conf))

Regards

Ian Barwick

--
  Ian Barwick                   http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/