Re: Set new system identifier using pg_resetxlog - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Set new system identifier using pg_resetxlog
Date
Re: Set new system identifier using pg_resetxlog  (Andres Freund <andres@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: Set new system identifier using pg_resetxlog  (Abhijit Menon-Sen <ams@2ndquadrant.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 06/13/2014 05:31 PM, Petr Jelinek wrote:
> Hello,
>
> attached is a simple patch which makes it possible to change the system
> identifier of the cluster in pg_control. This is useful for
> individualization of the instance that is started on top of data
> directory produced by pg_basebackup - something that's helpful for
> logical replication setup where you need to easily identify each node
> (it's used by Bidirectional Replication for example).

I'm unclear on why we would overload pg_resetxlog for this.  Wouldn't it
be better design to have an independant function,
"pg_set_system_identifier"?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.