I probably don't understand aggregates. - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Markus Neumann
Subject I probably don't understand aggregates.
Date
Re: I probably don't understand aggregates.  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-novice
I'm new to postgres, sql and mailing lists, so I think I'm in the right
place here.

I have a pl/pgsql function, that calls a selfwritten aggregate function
(consisting of stepfunction and finalfunction) and afterwards processes
the results.

The Problem:

if I call
   SELECT myAggrFunction(x) FROM table;
I get the correct and expected output.

but when myAggrFunction gets called inside the "wrapper"-function, the
finalfunction gets executed before all rows are processed and hence I
get a "Division by zero" error.

E.g.
   SELECT myWrapperFunction(x) FROM table;
   ERROR: division by zero

myWrapperFunction would look something like:

   BEGIN
     M := myAggrFunction(x);
     --do some more stuff
     RETURN M;
   END;

I hope the description is somehow understandable.

Any feedback will be highly appreciated.

Markus