Re: PostgreSQL 15 release announcement draft - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jonathan S. Katz
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 15 release announcement draft
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 9/12/22 3:34 PM, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 12, 2022 at 12:52:49PM -0400, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
>> sorted. Using `row_number()`, `rank()`, and `count()` as
>> [window functions](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/functions-window.html)
>> also have performance benefits in PostgreSQL 15, and queries using
>
> Remove "using" ?

I don't think that's the correct change, but I broke up the sentences.
I'll post the changes shortly.

>> certain operating systems, PostgreSQL 15 supports the ability to
>> [prefetch WAL file contents](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/runtime-config-wal.html#GUC-RECOVERY-PREFETCH)
>> and speed up recovery times. PostgreSQL's built-in backup command,
>
> s/and/to/ ?

I suppose that is the end goal of the feature, in which case "to" would
be correct. I made that adjustment.

(I did see tests where recovery time did *not* speed up when prefetching
was used, though it may have been due to the knob settings on the tests).

>> [`pg_basebackup`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/app-pgbasebackup.html), now
>> supports server-side compression of backup files with a choice of gzip, LZ4, and
>
> s/with/and/ ?

I don't think that is correct.

>> PostgreSQL 15 includes the SQL standard
>> [`MERGE`](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/sql-merge.html) command.
>> `MERGE` lets you write conditional SQL statements that include `INSERT`,
>> `UPDATE`, and `DELETE` actions within a single statement.
>
> maybe "include combinations of INSERT, UPDATE and DELETE ..."

Added "can".

>> PostgreSQL
>> [server-level statistics](https://www.postgresql.org/docs/15/monitoring-stats.html)
>> are now collected in shared memory, eliminating both the statistics collector
>> process and periodically writing this data to disk.
>
> and *the need to* periodically write this data to disk ?

I don't see what that adds other than extra words, but I can be
convinced otherwise.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Attachment