Re: Hope it is not too offtopic - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Ploski
Subject Re: Hope it is not too offtopic
Date
List pgsql-general
>   I have a database of ISO standards ... my clients want to be able to do a
>   full document search ... but it's not a document ... it's a database
>   Is there a way (more likely a query question) to
>   select * from tablename where <anyfield> like '%term%'??

This query will work, but I suspect this is a very inefficient way
of doing a full text search.

I was looking into that topic myself some time earlier, and I am going
to use an external (free, open-source) Java engine called "Lucene" for
text indexing. You may wish to read up about it on www.lucene.com. There
also was a JavaWorld article which expressed high praise for this
particular indexing package.

-JPL