Text search - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jan Ploski
Subject Text search
Date
List pgsql-general
Hi,

Thanks for all your remarks regarding 7.1's stability. I'm going to get
it running as our mail/news database backend and come back with bug
reports ;-)

Another question which comes to my mind: what would be the best way to
implement a search feature for such a database? I know that there are
specialized tools such as glimpse for fast and fancy indexing of text
content. Can anyone recommend a solution for PostgreSQL-databased messages
or, as a matter of fact, for performing text search in big relational
databases generally? I am curious how sites such as the former Deja.com
approach this problem. Do they just rely on simple SELECTs with regular
expressions in the WHERE clause or do they export messages into some
external format and feed them to specialized indexing software for
pre-processing?

-JPL