Re: PostgreSQL 9.2.4 + CentOS 6.5 64 bit - segfault error in initdb - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: PostgreSQL 9.2.4 + CentOS 6.5 64 bit - segfault error in initdb
Date
List pgsql-general
On 06/05/2014 09:11 AM, Bhushan Pathak wrote:
> It did create the data directory as well pg_log directory. I ran the
> initdb again with -d option, but it still printed the same line in the
> startup log, nothing more.
> $SU -l postgres -c "$PGENGINE/initdb --pgdata='$PGDATA' --auth='ident'
> $LOCALESTRING -d" >> "$PGLOG" 2>&1 < /dev/null
>
> I then ran the pg_ctl command as follows
> su - postgres
> cd /usr/pgsql-9.2/bin
> ./pg_ctl initdb -D /var/lib/pgsql/data -o '--auth="ident"
> --locale=en_US.UTF-8 -d'

Try this with initdb directly. I personally am confused with what pg_ctl
does with -o since -d is an option to postgres not initdb and --locale
is an option to initdb not postgres.

> creating collations ... initdb: locale name has non-ASCII characters,
> skipped: "bokmål"
> initdb: locale name has non-ASCII characters, skipped: "français"
> could not determine encoding for locale "hy_AM.armscii8": codeset is
> "ARMSCII-8"
> could not determine encoding for locale "ka_GE": codeset is "GEORGIAN-PS"
> could not determine encoding for locale "ka_GE.georgianps": codeset is
> "GEORGIAN-PS"
> could not determine encoding for locale "kk_KZ": codeset is "PT154"
> could not determine encoding for locale "kk_KZ.pt154": codeset is "PT154"
> could not determine encoding for locale "tg_TJ": codeset is "KOI8-T"
> could not determine encoding for locale "tg_TJ.koi8t": codeset is "KOI8-T"
> could not determine encoding for locale "thai": codeset is "TIS-620"
> could not determine encoding for locale "th_TH": codeset is "TIS-620"
> could not determine encoding for locale "th_TH.tis620": codeset is "TIS-620"
> could not determine encoding for locale "vi_VN.tcvn": codeset is
> "TCVN5712-1"

Looks like Postgres is having a problem determining what the locale is
for your setup.

What is your locale?

> Success. You can now start the database server using:
>
>      /usr/pgsql-9.2/bin/postgres -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
> or
>      /usr/pgsql-9.2/bin/pg_ctl -D /var/lib/pgsql/data -l logfile start
>

> And also seemed to be successful. But when I quit the postgres shell,
> tried to restart the service as root user, it has failed with the
> following message on CLI -

So you are using the system start script?

What happens if you do pg_ctl start -D /var/lib/pgsql/data as the
postgres user?

> Stopping postgresql service:                               [  OK  ]
> Starting postgresql service:                              [FAILED]
>
> pgstartup log has the same line  -
> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
>
> Where is this core dump file generated? How do we proceed further from here?

Take a look at this Wiki page:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Getting_a_stack_trace_of_a_running_PostgreSQL_backend_on_Linux/BSD

--
Adrian Klaver