Re: Need pg_dump not to dump extension-created triggers - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shaun Thomas
Subject Re: Need pg_dump not to dump extension-created triggers
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/21/2014 10:18 PM, Moshe Jacobson wrote:

> I'd like to know if the following changes can be made, as I think they
> will fix this issue:
>
>  1. Add command ALTER EXTENSION ... ADD TRIGGER.
>  2. Modify pg_dump not to dump triggers that are dependent on an extension.

Haha. I remember this from the Unconference day at PGCon on Saturday.

For anyone who wasn't there, I think the consensus was that the
extension author could "fix" this by creating the triggers as not owned
by the extension, but owned by an extension role. That way, dropping the
role would cascade to the triggers, but the triggers would still be
created normally as dependent objects of the extension, hence no errors.

However, it would be a lot nicer if we had some explicit syntax to avoid
this kind of situation.

--
Shaun Thomas
OptionsHouse, LLC | 141 W. Jackson Blvd. | Suite 800 | Chicago IL, 60604