Re: ``..Advice For New Immigrants... - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: ``..Advice For New Immigrants...
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Don Baccus <dhogaza@pacifier.com> writes:
> Why not face the reality that Usenet is the past, not the present and
> certainly not the future?

Usenet is alive and well, thankyouverymuch ... but only at sites that
are taking fairly strong filtering measures to weed out the crapola.
Barring shoot-on-sight penalties for spammers, I think filtering is
the future for all variants of electronic communication :-(, so there's
not a lot of room to condemn Usenet for being ahead of the curve.

Meanwhile, back to our local reality rather than global speculation.
It appears that Marc is passing an unfiltered feed into our mail list.
He's asked for some time to fix the filtering problem, which seems
reasonable to me --- but I can afford to be forgiving because none of
that traffic is reaching my inbox anymore ;-).  If you've got strong
opinions about what you want to read or not read, I'd suggest learning
how to filter your email for yourself rather than relying on other
people's opinions of what's reasonable.