Re: Backups over slave instead master? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shaun Thomas
Subject Re: Backups over slave instead master?
Date
List pgsql-general
On 05/01/2014 10:31 AM, Edson Richter wrote:

> I'm wondering if would be possible to execute these backups in the slave
> server instead, so I can avoid the overhead of backups on master system?

If you're on PostgreSQL 9.3, you can backup the slave server safely. If
not, you'll need to run this command on the master system first:

SELECT pg_start_backup('some-label');

After the backup is done, run this on the master server:

SELECT pg_stop_backup();

--
Shaun Thomas
312-676-8870