Re: Transcoding problem with wine and unixodbc - Mailing list pgsql-odbc

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Transcoding problem with wine and unixodbc
Date
List pgsql-odbc
On 04/30/2014 12:23 AM, Pierre Couderc wrote:

> On 04/26/2014 01:40 AM, Adrian Klaver wrote:
>> On 04/25/2014 04:48 AM, Pierre Couderc wrote:
>>> I am still trying to excute a MFC application (working with psqlodbc
>>> under WinXP) under wine, unix psqlodbc, and unixodbc.
>>>
>>> My application is in ANSI, but the DB is in Unicode, so under Windows, I
>>> use Postgrsql Unicode driver (which transcodes..?) without any problem.
>>> Under wine, I have tried the 2 drivers (psqlodbcw.so and psqlodbca.so)
>>> and with the same incorrect result.
>>
>> Hmm. I would have expected different results.
> Me too.
>>
>> Are you sure your program actually picked up the change in drivers?
> Yes, I am sure  : I choose "PostgreSQL ANSI" (in odbc.ini) I get a good
> result but  the bad <Ã"> result. I change odbc.ini to a unexistant
> driver : I get an application error, then I choose "PostgreSQL Unicode",
> and I get the same  bad <Ã"> result.
>>
>>> For exemple <è> becomes <Ã"> (in 2 characters).
>>
>> Can you get a psql connection to the database?
> yes.
>>
>> And if so what does it show?
>>
> I do not know (as I do not know how to use pgsql). But I am sure that
> the database is Unicode, and for exmple PGadmin III (either on the same
> debian machine or on W7) reads it without problem.

Once you have psql open, type the query you want:

select * from some_table;

where some_table is the one with the characters you are having problems
with.

>> Also what exactly is the encoding your client is using?
>>
> Mmm, I am not sure to know what is "my" Client. I suppose that the
> client of the DB is psqlodbc.

Well psqlodbc is more of an adapter that is passing information from
your application to Postgres.

> Or if you want to speak of my application, it is under wine in ANSI.

ANSI is a general term. What is important is what character
set(encoding) you are actually using in your application.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com