Re: Let's start talking features and "theme" for 9.4 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Re: Let's start talking features and "theme" for 9.4
Date
Re: Let's start talking features and "theme" for 9.4
List pgsql-advocacy
On 04/23/2014 02:13 AM, Jonathan S. Katz wrote:
> On Apr 22, 2014, at 7:29 PM, Josh Berkus <josh@agliodbs.com> wrote:
>
>> "Big features", that is the ones we want to lead with in press
>> stuff:
>>
>> * JSONB et. al.
>
> I think to echo some of the earlier statements, the important thing
> is how we label this feature.  "Enhanced JSON access that rivals
> other NoSQL system speeds" or the like would generate a lot of buzz.
> And we can definitely play-up the GIN indexing improvements around
> this and show what other data types / systems reap the benefits of
> those.

Yes, and also the JSON manipulation functions which make it possible to
do extract/merge/aggregate of JSON.  That's why I said "et. al.", I was
referring to the whole package of JSON "stuff".  It might be worth
giving a shout-out to Mongres and pgREST in the presskit.

>> * Logical Decoding/Changeset Extraction (need a marketing name for
>> this feature, I like Logical Streaming Replication, but that's not
>> complete yet)
>
> Then perhaps we hold off highlighting this feature, similar to what
> we did with mat views for 9.3?  Ultimately, once "logical streaming
> replication" is complete, the tag line is "replicate PostgreSQL
> information into *any* system"

Well, the question is, can we do anything practically useful with CE/LD
as it is in 9.4 right now?  If no, the we hold off until we have the
complete set of stuff.  If so, we announce it now, and announce the
additional features in 9.4/10.0.

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.