Let's start talking features and "theme" for 9.4 - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From Josh Berkus
Subject Let's start talking features and "theme" for 9.4
Date
Re: Let's start talking features and "theme" for 9.4  (Cédric Villemain <cedric@2ndquadrant.com>)
Re: Let's start talking features and "theme" for 9.4  ("Jonathan S. Katz" <jonathan.katz@excoventures.com>)
Re: Let's start talking features and "theme" for 9.4  (Simon Riggs <simon@2ndQuadrant.com>)
List pgsql-advocacy
All,

So, we're closing in on a 9.4 beta.  As such, I'd like to settle what we
think are the "big features" for 9.4 which we're going to promote to the
press, as well as seeing if we can come up with a "theme" which makes us
more likely to get useful coverage.

First let's start with a list.

"Big features", that is the ones we want to lead with in press stuff:

* JSONB et. al.
* Logical Decoding/Changeset Extraction (need a marketing name for this
feature, I like Logical Streaming Replication, but that's not complete yet)
* Materialized Views
* ALTER SYSTEM SET
... others?

There's also a whole bunch of less prominent but interesting patches,
including:

* updatable security barrier views
* new array manipulation and table functions
* time-delayed standbys
* dynamic background workers
* MVCC system catalogs
* Decrease lock level for some ALTER TABLE stuff
... others?

--
Josh Berkus
PostgreSQL Experts Inc.