Re: Using 9.3 as a slave to 9.1 for upgrade purposes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Using 9.3 as a slave to 9.1 for upgrade purposes
Date
List pgsql-general
On 04/22/2014 03:52 PM, Wells Oliver wrote:
> As a way of upgrading, I'd like to setup a 9.3 cluster as a slave to a
> 9.1 master so that I can then promote that 9.3 instance to master, using
> streaming replication.
>
> Curious if this is a possible/advisable route.

Not possible with streaming replication. It is a binary format so the
version and system architecture have to be the same on both sides of the
equation. You would need to use another replication method, say
something like Slony. For more information see here:

https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Replication,_Clustering,_and_Connection_Pooling

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com