Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6! - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Gavin Flower
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Finally upgrading to 9.6!
Date
List pgsql-general
On 19/10/17 10:34, Don Seiler wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 18, 2017 at 4:17 PM, Vik Fearing
> <vik.fearing@2ndquadrant.com <mailto:vik.fearing@2ndquadrant.com>> wrote:
>
>     On 10/18/2017 08:17 PM, Don Seiler wrote:
>
>     > I disagree with this. It isn't my company's business to test the
>     > Postgres software in development, as much as it would be needed and
>     > appreciated by the community.
>
>     Yeah, let others do it for you!  Great attitude.
>

> It's a realistic, practical attitude. I'm sorry that not every company
> wants to offer the resources to contribute back to the community as
> much as you want. But it's foolish to expect a company to perform
> their development lifecycle against betas and RCs. They have their own
> products to worry about. A gallant few may let their DBAs do some
> sandbox testing to contribute time back to the community, but you
> can't expect them to.
Actually that attitude is short sighted, as your company might trigger
problems no one else has (or at least not prepared to report bugs on).
Surely you want such bugs fixed BEFORE you use pg in production???

It is also likely to take time to know how best to use the changes in a
newer version of pg for your database in your operational environment.

So it is in the best self interests of your company to to test
development versions of pg prior to final release.  Helping others, in
this context, is a more sophisticated form of selfishness than you
display at the moment.

Cheers,
Gavin