Re: fast case-insensitive sort - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: fast case-insensitive sort
Date
List pgsql-sql
"Sigi Jekabsons" <sigi.j@workskillsprofessionals.com.au> writes:
> 'surname' is varchar(255), indexed in the manner shown on my
> sorting by a column of type text and that worked just fine, it used the
> index in the order by.  Why is that?

I would have said that the presence of the implicit varchar-to-text cast
prevented the system from detecting that the expression matches the
index value.  But if it's able to detect the match in one case and not
the other, that might be a garden-variety bug.  Will look at it ...
        regards, tom lane