Re: Re: ltsWriteBlock: failed to write block XX of temporary file. Perharps out of disk space... - Mailing list pgsql-sql

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Re: ltsWriteBlock: failed to write block XX of temporary file. Perharps out of disk space...
Date
List pgsql-sql
"Ligia M. Pimentel" <lmpc@nettaxi.com> writes:
>> I have a database and a table with 70000 records (which i dont think it's
>> too much)
>> I join this table with another of about the same size and put a record
>> restriction (WHERE) and everything works out fine, but when I put two SUMs
>> over a couple of fields and add a GROUP BY

What plan does EXPLAIN show for this query?  I suspect that you are
causing it to sort a huge intermediate result, possibly because of
insufficiently tight WHERE restrictions.

>>  I keep getting this error,
>>
>> ltsWriteBlock: failed to write block 27231 of temporary file
>> Perhaps out of disk space?
>>
>> I checked and I have over 1GB free so I figure this must have something to
>> do with configuration parameters.

Well, that temp file alone is 27231*8K = 212meg, and it might be using
several.  So running out of disk space is not out of the question.  Did
you watch free space with df while the query was running?
        regards, tom lane