Re: BUG #10013: PostgreSQL 9.4 initdb FATAL: could not write to file "pg_xlog/xlogtemp.3590": No space left on devi - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Heikki Linnakangas
Subject Re: BUG #10013: PostgreSQL 9.4 initdb FATAL: could not write to file "pg_xlog/xlogtemp.3590": No space left on devi
Date
List pgsql-bugs
On 04/14/2014 04:44 AM, digoal@126.com wrote:

> Bug reference:      10013
> Logged by:          digoal.zhou
> Email address:      digoal@126.com
> PostgreSQL version: Unsupported/Unknown
> Operating system:   CentOS 6.4 x64
>
> I use recent postgresql snapshot from
> http://git.postgresql.org/gitweb/?p=postgresql.git;a=snapshot;h=e0c91a7ff015fab0ccbb0f75b6819f29ae00295e;sf=tgz
> but when initdb, error reported.
>
> [df output that shows plenty of disk space]
>
> pg94@db-172-16-3-150-> initdb -D /home/pg94/pg_root --debug
> DEBUG:  creating and filling new WAL file
> FATAL:  could not write to file "pg_xlog/xlogtemp.3590": No space left on
> device

Can you reproduce this, or was it a one-off failure?

The function reports "No space left on device" if the write() syscall
reports ENOSPC, but also on a short write, i.e. if write() reports
success but didn't write the whole buffer but only part of it. On a
local disk, a short write usually indicates running out of disk space,
but I'm not sure if there might be some other conditions when that
happens, especially with more exotic filesystems. Was there anything
special about the filesystem you're using?

If you can reproduce this, we could add some more debugging to see if it
was a short write or a ENOSPC.

- Heikki